The countdown has begun, and you can hardly wait. Very soon you’ll be settling into your brand-new dream home. But before you can kick back and relax in your spacious great room or test out that tempting recipe in your gourmet kitchen, you have to make it through Moving Day.
Moving into a new home doesn’t have to be a stressful experience. In fact, with a little advanced planning, your upcoming move can go off without a hitch. Just follow these simple tips for a smooth and successful Moving Day:
- Print out and begin following this handy moving checklist two months before your move.
- Reserve your movers at least two weeks (but preferably six weeks) in advance so you won’t have to scramble at the last minute. The same goes for family and friends if you opt to forego professional movers. (Get tips for choosing a moving company here.)
- Purge, give away, sell or arrange for charity to pick up unwanted items two weeks before you move so you won’t have to pay to transport them to your new home.
- If you’re moving locally, ask a friend (or hire a sitter) to watch children and pets so you can concentrate on the task at hand.
- Change your mailing address two weeks before you move so bills and other important documents won’t get delayed (or lost) in the shuffle.
- Get cash in advance so you have plenty of money on hand to tip your movers.
- Stock up on snacks and beverages beforehand so you won’t have to slow down or stop to get food.
- Pack your essentials in an overnight bag so you can access them when you need to—without having to sift through boxes.
- Pack most other belongings beforehand so you are ready for your movers to begin loading the truck as soon as they arrive.
- Clearly label your boxes according to room. You can even make a separate list of the contents in each box so you can prioritize when unpacking!
- Also number your boxes so you can easily confirm that none were lost in transit.
- Snap pictures of all your cords before you unplug them so you can use them as a guide to set up electronics in your new home.
Although these tips are by no means exhaustive, they’ll go a long way toward ensuring your upcoming move is relatively seamless. For additional moving advice, download a free copy of our Ultimate Moving Pack.