Are you preparing your home for sale? Is it currently on the market? Here are five things you may want to do before the offers start rolling in.
- Get your finances in order. It’s a good idea to figure out your finances before you even list your home for sale. This includes getting an accurate estimate of your home’s current value (knowing how much profit you may make, if any, can help you determine your budget for your next home). Other important steps to help prepare for your next home purchase include boosting or maintaining your credit score (check out our free guide, 8 Credit Score Management Tips, to learn more), maintaining steady employment and ensuring you have sufficient savings for your future down payment and closing costs.
- Interview potential agents. Not all agents are created equal. Gather referrals from trusted friends and family members and interview several candidates to find the best fit. Agents can help with everything from advertising and setting a fair price for your home to scheduling showings and ultimately negotiating your sale. They can even aid in your new home purchase. So be sure to choose one who understands your home, neighborhood and needs. After you make your selection, ask your agent these three questions.
- Stage your home to sell. Prospective buyers may have a tough time envisioning their belongings in a space that’s cluttered with family photos and personal items. The same holds true for outdated or outlandish home décor. If you followed Step 3 (above) and enlisted the help of a seasoned agent, he or she will be able to help you neutralize and stage your space to generate the most interest from buyers. You can also get additional home staging tips and tricks here.
- Select your next address. You’re going to need another place to live after you sell your home. And in today’s market, your condo, townhome or single-family home may sell more quickly than you had anticipated. That’s why it’s typically a good idea to start searching for your next home prior to selling your current one. Speak with your agent and visit RichmondAmerican.com to explore new communities, floor plans and to-be-built and move-in ready homes near you!
- Get bids from moving companies. Many people like to prepare for a move by getting bids before they sell their home. Ask friends and family members for recommendations, scope out contenders on the Better Business Bureau website and take some time to shop around. It’s a good rule of thumb to get at least three estimates before hiring a licensed moving company. To avoid any confusion, make sure the mover visits your home prior to providing an estimate rather than just giving one over the internet or phone. Get tips for choosing a moving company and our Ultimate Moving Pack!
Want additional tips for selling your home? Check out the For Sellers section of our blog for other informative articles.