Ask most parents and they’ll tell you that having kids has enriched their lives in countless ways. But if there’s one common cause for complaint, it’s the clutter that tends to accompany children from infancy well into the teenage years.
There’s no getting around it—kids require stuff. And unfortunately, cleaning up after themselves isn’t typically a top priority. Maybe your child is exceptionally tidy, but if not, don’t worry! Following are some simple organizing ideas to get ahead of the mess and help keep your kid’s room (and other spaces in your home!) clutter-free and orderly, regardless of their age.
Organization ideas for infants, toddlers and young kids
- Use decorative baskets to store essentials, like diapers, wipes and lotion
- House favorite toys in a fun toy box or bin(s)
- Keep an attractive clothes hamper in the space for dirty clothing
- Attach pegs/peg rail to the side of the changing table/wall for additional hanging storage
- Install extra closet rod(s) to leverage vertical space
- Use laundry hanger clothespins to hang those small shoes in a closet or armoire
- Hang decorative closet dividers to separate clothing by size
- Use an eye-catching magnet board to display important papers and artwork
- Use plastic rain gutters to create an easy access reading corner
- Make a pretty DIY holder for hairbows
Organization ideas for tweens and teens
- Use wall shelves to display books, photos, trophies and decorative accessories
- Store seasonal clothing/gear out of sight with under-the-bed storage containers
- Keep shoes from piling up on the floor with a space-saving hanging shoe organizer
- Organize ball caps with a hanging DIY hat organizer
- Clear the desk of pens, papers, etc., with stylish desk accessories and/or a homework station
- Use an elegant DIY bulletin board to display important papers, photos, etc.
Organization ideas for all
- Use handy drawer organizers to store items like socks and underwear
- Roll socks and underwear instead of folding them to conserve drawer space
- Set a decorative tray on the dresser to serve as a catch-all
- Add extra storage and seating with a DIY window seat
- House small electronics in closet storage bins
Keep following our blog—and be sure to check out our Pinterest boards—for more home organizing ideas and kids’ room inspiration!