For most homeowners, there comes a moment when their home no longer meets their needs. Fortunately, when it’s time to sell your home, there are simple things you can do to make your house stand out among the competition.
1. Think curb appeal.
The first tip for selling your home is to lead with a good first impression. Make sure buyers will want to take a closer look. Consider these curb-altering ideas:
- Change out your house numbers, lighting fixtures and mailbox & door hardware
- Remove overbearing shrubbery or anything covering the entryway
- Take care of weeds and plant new flowers (if it’s warm outside)
- Remove children’s toys and garden figures (flamingos, gnomes, etc.)
2. Make it neutral.
When you’re selling your home, buyers need to see a clean slate so they can envision how they’d make each room their own. A few gallons of paint in a neutral color can make a space feel move-in ready. Choose tans, creams and beiges for a look that’s warm and inviting.
3. Rent a storage unit.
It will be easier for a buyer to imagine how they’ll utilize each room in your home if you remove excess furniture, boxes and personal mementos. Not only will your home appear more spacious, but potential buyers won’t feel tied to your brand of decorating. Plus, closet space is a key selling point. The more stuff you can live without for a short period of time, the bigger your home will look.
4. Create spaces with purpose.
Give each space a clear and useful purpose. If you’re using a bedroom for storage, remove the boxes and stage it as a guest room or an office so buyers instantly perceive the space’s value. If you’ve already moved out, leave some furniture arranged in simple vignettes to clearly define your rooms to buyers.
5. Take time for quick fixes.
Still think your home needs a little something extra? Try these quick fixes:
- Downplay low ceilings by positioning curtain rods three or four inches above windows
- Arrange seating arrangements so they frame your home’s best features, such as fireplaces or bay windows
- Paint dated cabinetry and switch out hardware for an updated look
Making a few changes and investing a few dollars can make a difference when selling your home. Enjoy moving on to a brand new living space! Once your home is on the market, it’s time to start searching for your next one. Browse floor plans and communities »