Mother’s Day is right around the corner. Give the flowers, chocolates and other go-to gifts a rest this year, and surprise her with something special for her abode. After all, home is where the heart is.
A floral bouquet might make Mom’s day, but a potted plant for her living room will provide year-round enjoyment. Better yet, surprise her with a collection of seeds, and set aside some time to help her dig in the dirt. You can even recruit other family members to join in the fun. She’ll cherish her new garden—and the memories planted along with the flowers, fruits and/or veggies!
A thoughtful present for her foyer will remind her of you every time she opens her front door. Consider giving her a small console table, a hand-woven basket or a pretty ceramic bowl to hold house keys, car keys and other odds and ends.
Some more gift ideas for rooms in Mom’s home include:
- Kitchen. If she loves to experiment with new recipes, give her a decorative cookbook stand or a hanging pot rack. If she prefers take-out, choose an attractive glass vase, pitcher or cake stand.
- Dining room. Wow her with all the elements for a breathtaking tablescape. Choose beautiful candlesticks, napkins, napkin rings, chargers, placemats and even a stunning tablecloth or runner in her preferred style and shades.
- Great room/family room. Warm up her room—and her heart—with a family photo transferred onto an oversized canvas or a painting in her favorite theme and/or color palette.
- Living room. Consider that potted plant (mentioned above) or select a coffee table book that features works by her favorite artist. You can also use one of the many popular websites to create a photo album of cherished memories.
- Study. Dress up her desk with family photos in fashionable frames, a clock engraved with a personal message, a leather desktop organizer or a glass paperweight.
- Bedroom. Beautify her bed with pretty, patterned throw pillows or a soft monogrammed blanket, or opt for an ornate jewelry box that she can display on her nightstand.
- Bathroom. Transform her bathroom into a relaxing spa with scented candles, fluffy, oversized towels and/or a beautiful basket of assorted body care products.
Happy Mother’s Day from our family to yours! Looking for design inspiration for your own home? Tour a Richmond American model home near you.